Stone Milled Specialty Grains is a multi-generational family farm run near Oak Bluff, Manitoba. Recognizing the demand for high-quality stone-milled grains, the company produces small batches of flours and snack products all based on locally grown and gluten-free grains and seeds.
Also known as stone-ground grains, the flours provide artisanal bakers and natural food lovers a tasty, healthier and nutritionally superior alternative to conventional steel-rolled flours. The slow grinding of the stone mill helps to preserve the vitamin and mineral content of the flour better than high-speed industrial steel rolling. Stone-milled flours also preserve the goodness of true whole grains – hull, germ and endosperm. Stone Milled Specialty Grains specializes in non-gluten containing seeds, including buckwheat, wild rice, pulses (peas, beans, lentils), and corn.
More recently, Stone Milled Specialty Grains partnered up with the Food Development Centre in Portage la Prairie to create Buckshots, a naturally gluten-free buckwheat snack. Available in four flavours (including natural), they were named one of the top twelve natural foods at an international gourmet food show in San Francisco in 2012, and in the same year won the Great Manitoba Food Fight!
Five Facts About Buckwheat
1. Contrary to what the name implies, buckwheat isn’t related to wheat; it actually comes from the same family as rhubarb!
2. It is naturally gluten-free, and is a good source of dietary fibre and complete protein.
3. Like quinoa, spelt, and kamut, buckwheat is considered an ancient grain. Its use has been documented back for over 7,000 years!
4. It’s quite versatile! In addition to being eaten on its own or added to things like salad, it can be used to make flour, beer, whiskey, tea, honey, and soba noodles.
5. Buckwheat hulls are sometimes used as filling for upholstered items, such as pillows.